Getting New Customers is What Lead Generation Is All About.
I've got my site, I've been around for a while, how do I get new leads?
Most businesses are overwhelmed at what it takes to actually get customers in the door. It sometimes feels like you're shooting in the dark with different lead generation tactics you try, especially when it comes to traditional methods. That ability to track results and see if your efforts really work seems impossible.
First off, let's answer some of the most common questions asked.
What is lead generation?
Simply put, lead generation is how you find new people to talk to about your business offering and get a chance to convert them to customers. Leads are not customers. But without leads you can't build your customer base. Leads are those individuals looking for the service or product you offer. They're often in the research stage of the decision making process. They know they have a problem to solve with a product or service and are looking into their options.
We like to categorize the different stages or types of leads.
We break them down like this:
- Soft leads; leads that are not extremely motivated or close to making a decision. These leads are still figuring out exactly what they need, they know they have a problem to solve but may not know exactly what they are looking for. They're toe dippers, feeling things out and learning more about what is out there.
- Hard leads; leads that are really close to making a decision and need to do it in a short amount of time. They have a pretty good idea of what they want and need so they are just trying to find the best fit.
- Then there qualified leads; these guys know what they want and have been recommended by someone, or have searched you out specifically as they have heard from word of mouth or some form or another that you're the best.
The strategies and solutions we put in place for each of these categories vary. We may use similar techniques and technologies, like ads, your website, email, SEO strategies, facebook, LinkedIn or other social media networks, Direct Mail, Refer a Friend tools or offer based promotions and contest. But we generally don't use all of them at once. We set them up as tactics for different purposes and campaigns.
The biggest thing that changes between each lead type is how we communicate to them. We're going to talk to a soft lead differently than a qualified lead. We identify these leads based on the channels they have come in through. So it's important to set up all the different channels each lead type can find you & you can capture them from.
That's why this is part of our overall marketing strategy. It gets fine tuned as we go and broken down into lead generation specific tactics or campaigns. But the most important thing we do is implement a mechanism or system in which the leads generated can be tracked.
Tracking is the most important part of what we do. If there isn't a way to track how each marketing tactic we implement is performing, we might as well be back to shooting in the dark. That's the only way we can see what's working and tweak or adjust what isn't.
This is why it's also important from your side to work with a company you trust and can develop a long standing relationship with. The longer you work with the right firm the better your results will get. It's because the right agency will learn as you learn, and will get better and better at executing successful campaigns.
Quick case study example. We've been working with Napa Heritage Autopro for 4 years. We're now at the point where we're seeing up to 30% growth in our news customers each month. These are converted customers - people that have bought services from the shop. That means our lead generation - or leads coming in - is even greater yet, as it's higher on the sales funnel. We've helped Heritage Autopro generate an average of 65% more new leads each month than they were getting before. This is dramatic growth for a service type business and we've seen this growth during some of the most difficult economic landscape that Calgary seen in years.
This company is proof of the importance of a solid strategy, using the right tactics and taking the time to truly learn what works within your respected market.
Some effective lead generation tactics to consider are:
- AdWords Campaigns
- Offer Based Search Engine Marketing Promotions
- Facebook Ads and Social Media Marketing
- Blog and Content Syndication
- Review Gathering
- Incentive Based Referral Programs
- More Traditional Methods such as Magazine Ads, Radio, Newspaper, Flyer or Mail Outs, Signage - Billboards, Transit Signs Etc..
Get in Touch With Us About Lead Generation
We love showing you what we can do and what we've done for other companies. Since everything is strategy based and tailored to your business and it's unique needs - best thing to do is talk to us directly.